Gathering Queen


Well, I survived! Two weeks making real costumes for a real theatre company going on a real stage (and just in case you don’t believe me, you can check out the details here)! Ok, well, most of what I made was just for the fitting stage, so the only things I did completely from start to finish were an apron and a floppy bonnet. I nearly finished a second floppy bonnet, but I had to leave early yesterday and was on the second-to-last step when Liz (the supervisor) brought out a bouquet and some cake as a thank-you for my hard work.

So, it appears I have made a positive enough impression to be missed next week. I really would have liked to do the full three weeks (and possibly into tech week as well), but we leave for California on Monday (eeeeee!). Here’s a comprehensive list of what I worked on throughout the last two weeks:

  • two aprons
  • dungarees (plackets!)
  • pinafore (lots of gathering)
  • two floppy bonnets (more gathering)
  • taking up a petticoat with a tuck (might have gone a bit wonky, that one)
  • taking up a skirt hem
  • bunny rabbit dress (even more gathering)

Most of what I made up had to be taken apart and adjusted after the fittings, but oh well, at least it wasn’t me having to deal with readjusting loads of gathers!

All in all, I’d call the last two weeks a success. Huzzah!



The journey to the costume shop was far smoother this morning – I was there by 9.30, hurrah! Good start, good start.

Proceeded to spend the day making up some black suedette dungarees for Moley (did I mention the show I’m working on is Wind in the Willows?). They’re nearly ready for the fitting – just need to bag out the straps and tack them on tomorrow, attach the big front pocket, et voila, dungarees! Again, probably something that one of the regular girls could have knocked up in a couple of hours, but let me point out that this costume has not one but TWO plackets. Yes, two plackets! Which I attached successfully on the first go! Even the fiddly middle bit!

Wait, I just remembered that I forgot to put the elastic in the back casing. Must write that down so I can do it without being reminded tomorrow.

Otherwise, so far so good. Fiona (the head cutter) seems pleased with my progress, and said I ask all the right questions. So far no one’s said anything to suggest that I’m working too slowly, which is really my main concern… but the general consensus from the girls is that I should take my time and ask questions if (when, more like) I get stuck.

Hopefully Moley’s dungarees won’t take too long to finish up tomorrow morning, and then it’s on to the next thing!